The Firmamento Workshop is a unique opportunity to dive into the captivating world of blazars and multi-messenger emitters. Hosted by NYUAD Citizen Researcher and NYUAD Center of Astro, Particle, and Planetary Physics (CAP3), this workshop aims to foster collaboration, knowledge sharing, and community engagement in ongoing research efforts focused on these extraordinary astrophysical sources. Join us as we embark on a journey of discovery, exploring the forefront of modern astrophysics.
Blazars, enigmatic objects in the cosmos, hold a central role in contemporary astrophysics. These extreme sources possess remarkable properties, exhibiting highly variable radiation across an extensive range of wavelengths, from radio waves to gamma-rays. It is believed that blazars derive their energy from a relativistic jet of matter emitted from the vicinity of a supermassive black hole, aligning in our direction—the Earth. Moreover, blazars are also suspected to emit neutrinos and cosmic rays, making them vital targets for multi-messenger observations that can provide a comprehensive understanding of the Universe.
Firmamento, a cutting-edge web-based and mobile-friendly platform, has been developed as a collaborative effort between the Center for Astro, Particle, and Planetary Physics (CAP3) and the Citizen Researcher initiative of New York University, Abu Dhabi. This revolutionary tool offers effective access to classical and recently released multi-frequency astronomical data, empowering users to visualize images from a broad range of radio, infrared, optical, UV, and high-energy surveys. Additionally, Firmamento provides advanced machine learning and scientific software to aid in characterizing the data, enabling researchers to extract valuable insights from the observations.
During the Firmamento Workshop, participants will have the opportunity to engage in a series of interactive sessions, workshops, and discussions led by esteemed experts in the field. The workshop program will cover a diverse range of topics, including:
Introduction to Blazars and Multi-Messenger Astronomy:
- Unveiling the nature and characteristics of blazars
- Significance of multi-messenger observations in astrophysics
Exploring the Firmamento Platform:
- Navigating the Firmamento interface and accessing astronomical data
- Visualizing and analyzing multi-frequency images using state-of-the-art tools
- Utilizing machine learning techniques for data characterization
Collaborative Research Opportunities:
- Discovering ongoing research projects related to blazars and multi-messenger emitters
- Identifying opportunities for active participation and contribution
- Joining a community of like-minded researchers and enthusiasts